Steps For Applying
STEP ONE: Complete Application Materials
- Current (within 2 years) Psychoeducational or Neuropsychological Evaluation with cognitive, achievement and projective testing (see examples below). Please submit a copy. Do not submit the original document.
- Cognitive function: WISC IV (Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children).
- Academic Achievement: WJ-III Achievement (Woodcock Johnson IV) or WIAT IV (Wechsler Individual Achievement Test).
- Projective Psychological Function: Rorschach and/or Thematic Apperception Test and/or BASC (Behavioral Assessment Scale for Children)
- Application for the 2017 – 2018 Academic Year
- $100.00 Non-Refundable Application Fee (paid to Winston Preparatory School)
- Completed Parental Statement
- School Transcripts (Sent directly from your child’s current placement).
- Completed Teacher/Specialist Recommendation Form
- Completed Information Release Form
- Most recent IEP, if applicable
- Recent photograph (Digital photos submitted via email are acceptable).
- Attendance at a Prospective Parent Open House
STEP THREE: Application Review
WPS admits students on a rolling basis, throughout the school year. After an application is received, it is reviewed by the Director of Admissions to determine if WPS can accommodate and remediate the student’s learning differences.
STEP FOUR: Interview and School Visit
If deemed appropriate, you will then be contacted to schedule a school visit for your child where we will conduct further testing, arrange a classroom visit and coordinate an interview with a School Dean.
STEP FIVE: Decision and Notification
Families are informed of admissions decisions via phone and by mail and are encouraged to contact the Director of Admissions to discuss the reasons why the student may or may not be appropriate for WPS. If a student is a good fit for the school, but there are currently no spots available, the student will be placed on a wait list and will be notified immediately if a spot becomes available within the group that is a match for the student’s learning profile. Families who are accepted are sent an acceptance letter and contract and are encouraged to return the signed contract with a deposit within two weeks of notification.
WPS accepts students with average to superior intellectual potential; however, WPS does not accept students with primary behavioral or emotional symptoms.